John 4:19-26, 28-29 (NIV) "Sir," the woman said, "I can see that you are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem." Jesus declared, "Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." The woman said, "I know that Messiah (called Christ) is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us." Then Jesus declared, "I who speak to you am he.”… Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, "Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did."
What is it, that when you are engaged with it or in its presence, time flies?
What are the things that you think about or worry about the most?
When there’s a conflict between competing demands, where do you most effortlessly and certainly spend your time and money?
What is it, that if you don’t get it, it crushes you?
Psalm 95:6-7 (NIV) Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care.
Psalm 95:2-5 (NRSV) Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. The sea is his, for he made it, and the dry land, which his hands have formed.
Isaiah 6:1, 3, 5 (NIV) I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple… And they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."… And I cried, “Woe to me! I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."
Psalm 29:1-2 (NIV) Ascribe to the LORD, O mighty ones, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength. Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness.
Isaiah 6:8 (NIV) Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Acts 7:55-56 (NIV) But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. "Look," he said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God."
– As you read the definition of worship that Pastor Shane presented, do you see things, people, ideals, etc. in your life that might meet this description? Use the four tests to help you evaluate this. What are they and how will you place the right priority on them so that your true worship and devotion is to God alone?
– Write out in your own words what it means that worshiping anything other than God dehumanizes you. Now that you see your thoughts clearly expressed, are there changes you need to make in the significance you place on some things in your life? What steps will you take to make these changes and who will you ask to come alongside you for encouragement, support, and accountability?
– Review the scriptures in Point #2. Look up Proverbs 9:10. How do you define the “right stance” or “right reverence” to God? What does that look like in your life? How do you view awe or fear of the Lord? How does that impact your worship of him?
– Of the various thoughts conveyed today through this message, which challenged you the most? Which did you find the most insightful or helpful? What questions are you left with? Share this with your small group.
– Einstein said, “If you can’t explain it simply, then you don’t understand it well enough.” Keeping that in mind, share with another person or write in your journal what it means to worship “in spirit and in truth.” If you can’t yet do it simply, don’t give up! Wrestle with it, pray about it, discuss it with others. Grapple with the challenging concepts until they are part of you, and you can share them with others effectively.
– Elementary parents. Today our bottom line is *be brave because God is with you*. Ask your kids who was brave in our Bible story. (Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego) These three young men stood strong even when facing a fiery furnace because they knew God was with them. He is with us, as well!
With a passion for Christ that is undeniable, Shane directly involves his listeners in each message. He speaks with high energy and delivers powerful teaching that is relevant to current life issues.