John 17:18 (NIV) “In the same way that you God gave me a mission in the world, I give them a mission in the world.”
Your mission is “in the World”
• Your mission is to people who are not yet in the family of God.
Acts 20:24 (NLT) But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.
Two ways to fulfill your mission
• Going and Bringing
John 15:16 (NIV) “You didn’t choose me. I have chosen you and I have commissioned you.”
Five things I can never forget
1. I’m commissioned for a mission!
John 9:4 (NIV) As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work.
2. God expects me to bring others to Jesus.
2 Timothy 4:5 (NCV) But you should control yourself at all times, accept troubles, do the work of telling the good news, and complete all the duties of a servant of God
1 Corinthians 9:21 (NIV84) To those not having the law I became like one not having the law. (Though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.
Luke 14:23 (NIV) And the master said to the slave, ‘Go out into the highways and along the hedges, and compel them to come in, so that my house may be filled.”
Galatians 5:16 (NLT) So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (CEV) You’re better off to have a friend than to be all alone,… If you fall, your friend can help you up.
3. My interests are a part of my life mission.
Mark 16:15 (NCV) “Go everywhere in the world and tell the good news to everyone.”
4. I should do it the way Jesus did it.
John 13:15 (NLT) “I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.”
Acts 1:8 (NIV) “You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and in all Samaria and to the ends of the Earth.”
5. Love demands that I move beyond my comfort zone.
2 Peter 3:9 (NIV) The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
Luke 8:39 (NCV) “‘Go back home and tell people how much God has done for you’. So the man went all over town telling how much Jesus had done for him.”
Your mission starts with those closest to you.
• “Jerusalem” is my home. It’s where I am.
Mark 10:29-31 (TLB) “Let me assure you that no one has ever given up anything for the love of me and to tell others the good news (that’s your mission, nobody has given up anything to fulfill their mission…) who won’t be given back a hundred times over.”
Growing Deeper Together
Use these questions throughout the week as part of your quiet time, in your small group, or over coffee with a friend to help you apply what you learned in today’s message.
• Shane shared that it takes unselfish people to fulfill their mission. This week practice putting yourself in other people’s shoes and try to understand their perspectives and feelings.
– How can this action help you become more sensitive and aware of the needs of others?
– Take some time to reflect on your actions and thoughts towards others this week. Ask yourself if they are selfish or selfless. If they are selfish, what steps can you take to change them? (Read Galatians 5:16)
• How can you be on mission to those around you? Are you fully living your life as a follower of Jesus, or only when it’s convenient for you?
– This week be intentional about being an example of Jesus to others. Show love, compassion, forgiveness, and selflessness.
• What are your interests? Think of some ways you can use those interests and hobbies to fulfill the mission Jesus has commissioned you to do.
– What are some practical ways you can help those in our community who are in pain?
– How can you move beyond your “comfort zone” and take that next step in starting your mission?
With a passion for Christ that is undeniable, Shane directly involves his listeners in each message. He speaks with high energy and delivers powerful teaching that is relevant to current life issues.
Milburn | 9:00am & 11:00am
Online | 9:00am & 11:00am
Español | 9:00am
Kerman | 10:00am
Bullard | 8:00am & 9:30am
Wednesday | 6:30pm
4625 W Palo Alto Ave
Fresno, CA 93722
© 2001-2023 NorthPointe Community Church, All rights reserved.